Sunday, March 6, 2011

My Plan for Lent

I am proud to say I am sponsoring a precious little girl from Rwanda. She is beautiful, and I can’t wait to learn more about her! That isn’t the point of this blog however, while I was playing on the internet, I saw the following Facebook update:
"During Lent I'll be giving up foods other than the staple foods that make up the diet of the Compassion children we sponsor. Wanna join me?" - Pastor Chris Seay, Ecclesia Church in Houston, Texas

What a notion! During a time, when I can’t think of anything to give up this idea is shared with me! to honor my new friend in Rwanda I plan on accepting the challenge and spending the season eating only the staples that would be found in her home village.
I have inserted some general facts about Rwanda below if any of you are interested in learning more about that part of the world. There has been so much bloodshed and disease across that land, and it truly does break my heart to imagine it all. I believe there is a purpose for that region (one little girl in particular) becoming a part of my life, I don’t know now – honestly I may never really know, but I am excited about this new adventure.
If any of you sponsor your own angel or want to partner with me during the time of lent, I would love for you to do so!
Oh, and for all you people that know me well, coffee and tea are both on the list!! (Thank you Lord!! Although, unfortunately there is no sugar…)
For those of you who aren’t 100% certain what LENT is, I googled it for you:
The name lent is a Germanic word originally used to refer to the spring season generally. Over time, it replaced the Latin quadragesima, which means “forty days.” Lent lasts forty days because, according to biblical accounts, Jesus went into the wilderness for forty days of fasting, meditation and reflection before beginning his ministry.

If you are interested in sponsoring a child or learning more about Compassion International:
Compassion International’s website http://www.compassion.com/

I have not been asked to provide any of the websites I have listed above nor will I receive anything for directing you to them, they are simply there to provide you the opportunity to either gain a greater understanding of the charity that has captured and broken my heart or to verify my facts on Rwanda.


About Rwanda from http://worldinfozone.com/country.php?country=Rwanda 

The Republic of Rwanda is a landlocked country in Central Africa. It is bordered by Burundi, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Uganda and Tanzania.

Kigali is the capital. Other urban areas are Butare, Gisenyi, Gitarama and Ruhengeri.

Rwanda's terrain consists of savannas, hills, and mountains. Rivers are the Kagera, Mwogo, Nyabarongo and the Ruzizi.

The temperature varies according to altitude: much of Rwanda is temperate.
Environment
National Parks in Rwanda are Nyungwe National Park in the southeast, Akagera National Park in the northeast and the the Parc des Volcans in the northwest.

The Parc des Volcans is home to mountain gorillas, made famous by "Gorillas in the Mist". Dr Dian Fossey, who died in 1985, spent many years among these endangered primates. The number of mountain gorillas has risen since Dr Fossey started working at the Karisoke Research Center in the 1960s.

Other animals found in Rwanda include antelopes, buffaloes, chimpanzees, elephants, giraffes and zebras.
Architecture
Butare was the principal city in Rwanda before Kigali became the capital in 1965. In nearby Nyabisindu the nineteenth century Royal Palace has been restored and now serves as a museum.

Kigali, Rwanda's capital and business centre, is a modern city with low-rise buildings.
Population
The population of Rwanda was estimated at 10,186,060 in 2008.
Languages
Kinyarwanda, French and English are official languages. Kiswahili (Swahili) is used in commercial centres.
Religion
The majority of Rwandans are Christians. There are some Muslims and followers of indigenous religions.
Food
Beans, cassava, plantains and sweet potatoes are staple foods in Rwanda. Porridge is made from sorghum, millet and maize.

Dairy products are part of the diet. Meat, usually beef and chicken, is eaten. Fish is caught in the lakes.

Vegetables and fruits available include aubergines, spinach, soybeans, avocados, bananas, citrus fruits, mangoes, papayas, passion fruit and pineapples.

Beer, made from bananas or sorghum, is brewed locally. Coffee and tea are grown.

No comments:

Post a Comment