Thursday, March 10, 2011

15 Minute Challenge, Day 2

Day 2:
Psalm 27:4 One prayer have I made to the Lord, and this is my heart's desire; that I may have a place in the house of the Lord all the days of my life, looking on his glory, and getting wisdom in his Temple.

I got an interesting phone call last night while at church. My sister was calling to let me know our Papa (grandfather) was in the hospital. He'd had a heart attack and we didn't have much additional information.

Once again, I am reminded of the fact that life will come to an end for all of us at some point. As Christine Caine said it at the CATWEST 2011 conference, "life is terminal." With that in mind, what are you living for?

Most of our generation is living for themselves. We live in a culture that looks at all the glory and splendor of this world and asks "what's in it for me?" Self gratification and self importance is so important to each member of our generation that we often miss those beautiful little moments that come from getting over you and doing something without seeking anything in return.

There are even times when our prayers become muddled with our wants.
“Please God let me have…”
“God, can you just give me…”
“Dear Lord, I really want…”

I can’t say my own prayers haven’t sounded like that at times, but in the grand scope of things, and when I think about how much I really have, I am reminded of what really and truly matters in this life. this leads me to our verse for day 2 of our 15 minute challenge:

David writes in Psalm 27:4 One prayer have I made to the Lord, and this is my heart's desire; that I may have a place in the house of the Lord all the days of my life, looking on his glory, and getting wisdom in his Temple(From The Bible in Basic English).

How beautiful is that notion? The thing David wanted most was to remain in the presence of the Lord on this earth. How different will it be if we tried to focus on God with such determination? What would life be like for us if the only thing that mattered was being able to sit in Gods house seeking His wisdom?

This life will end, it is a guarantee. James writes in James 4:13-15 (The Message) And now I have a word for you who brashly announce, "Today—at the latest, tomorrow—we're off to such and such a city for the year. We're going to start a business and make a lot of money." You don't know the first thing about tomorrow. You're nothing but a wisp of fog, catching a brief bit of sun before disappearing. Instead, make it a habit to say, "If the Master wills it and we're still alive, we'll do this or that."

If you are given tomorrow, what will you do with it? Who will you live it for? Will you remember the prayer of David? I can promise you if you make the choice and call out to God the way David did, He will transform you. He will change the heart behind your prayers; He has the power and the authority to transform your heart. He can take us and restore us and reconnect us with Him. At the end of the day, we only have a small amount of time on this planet, we can spend it focusing on things we want and do not need, or we can cry out to God and spend this time seeking His heart and living for the Creator of the Universe.

No comments:

Post a Comment