Thursday, January 12, 2012

A Prayer for When You Just Don't Care

By working on a university campus, I come across many types of people throughout my week. One common attribute to younger people now a days is the apathy that has engulfed people. It especially breaks my heart when I come across someone who professes to be a Christian and to have faith, but do not care about things that do not directly affect them.

Guess what people, if you're a Christians, than the things that break God's heart ought to break yours as well. It is not possible to love God with all your being if you cannot love His children. Do not see someone hurting and ignore it, do not turn away when you see an injustice done to God's children, you cannot fix everything, you alone cannot put an end to the starvation, mistreatment of women and children, you alone cannot end homelessness or feed everyone who goes hungry, but when you open your heart and allow God to completely fill you, you alone can answer His calling for you. You can be the vessel for change and a catalyst for something heavenly.


A Prayer for When You Just Don't Care

Once again, Lord Jesus Christ, I face the power of acedia [sloth].
Against the torrent of oblivion, I plead the blood of Jesus.
When the day stretches out before me and I am tempted todespair, encourage my soul through rhythms of prayer and work.
When I imagine my life would be easier if only I were somewhere else, help me not to flee but to trust your grace in this place.
When I lack attentive care for my neighbor, remind me how you laid down your life for me when I was still an enemy.
Deliver me from acedia, that I might greet that of you in every person and know the place where I am standing to be holy ground.
Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me, a sinner.

-Common Prayer Pocket Edition: A Liturgy for Ordinary Radicals, by Shane Claiborne & Jonathan Wilson-Hartgrove

No comments:

Post a Comment