Wednesday, December 14, 2011

devotional - what is joy?

This entry is a copy of a devotional I get emailed to me daily. These online devotionals are easy to read and usually very short. I use these in addition to my daily readings, especially on busy days when I just need a little refueling in between meetings or during a lunch break. If you don't already subscribe to one, I recommend you do. Little encouragements are very helpful in keeping your sanity during a busy day! =)

Splendor and majesty are before him; strength and joy are in his dwelling place.
 – 1 Chronicles 16:27 (NIV)

Today’s commentary
 by Dave Whitehead, Senior Pastor, GraceNYC.org

One of the things that will mark God’s dwelling place is joy. This is more than happiness. Joy is a sense of satisfaction that causes us to be overflowing with life. A joyful person is a satisfied person. That is one reason why God tells us not to try to get life from the things of the world, for joy only resides in Him. As the saying goes: happiness is based upon happenings, but joy is based upon Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment